Home » Our Services » Services » Supportive Assisted Living Services with Housing (‘Supportive Housing’)

Supportive Assisted Living Services with Housing (‘Supportive Housing’)

VHA Health & Home Support operates the largest Supportive Housing program in Eastern Ontario in six (6) different locations. Supportive Housing includes housing as well as assistance with physical care needs. The program is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and there is no cost for eligible applicants. Supportive Housing makes it possible for many adults with disabilities and seniors to live independently.

Supportive housing provides non-medical assistance to adults and seniors with irreversible physical challenges including but not limited to arthritis, spinal cord injury, spina bifida, or chronic progressive disease such as Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy and similar.

  • Clients live independently in an unsupervised environment, make their own decisions and are responsible for their affairs. Supportive Housing is for people who can communicate their service needs to staff trained in the delivery of personal care.
  • Physical care needs are provided by non-medical staff (‘Attendants’) and include non-medical personal support services that are available on-site 24 hours a day to meet the care needs of clients, on a pre-scheduled or as needed basis.
  • Rent subsidies may be available to those that qualify.
  • Care coordination is provided by our team of social work and nurse supervisors who conduct standardized assessments and, in partnership with you, develop individualized service plans which are updated when your needs change.
  • Applications for service and housing are accepted on an on-going basis.

Physical Care Needs

Staff are available on-site 24 hours a day to meet all the physical care needs of clients, on a pre-booked or as needed basis. There is a VHA office at each Supportive Housing site. Each client’s flexibility is key to the success of booking services that coordinates the services provided to every client.

We provide non-medical support for people who need assistance with personal care for at least two (2) hours each day, such as:

  • Personal hygiene
  • Dressing, undressing
  • Washing, bathing, showering, bed bath
  • Assistance with medication
  • Toileting and bladder care, including emptying and changing of leg and night bags, stoma care, maintenance of external catheter, application and maintenance of external condom
  • Bowel care including use of suppositories, digital stimulation and manual disimpaction, stoma care
  • Mouth care
  • Hair care
  • Grooming, including shaving, make-up application
  • Transferring, positioning and turning

Wellness assistance:

  • Respiratory assistance (ventilator, bi-pap)
  • Range of motion exercises
  • Assistance with cough devices and cough therapy.

Assisted Living Services

In addition, we are able to assist with the client’s:

  • Personal and household laundry
  • Light housekeeping
  • Meal preparation, cutting, serving and feeding
  • Clean-up of specialized equipment, including wheelchairs, commode chairs, etc.

Rent Subsidies

Rent geared to income with the assistance of rent subsidies may be available through the City of Ottawa’s Rent Supplement Program, Centretown Citizens’ Corporation, Cardinus Co-operative and Daly Co-operative. Our registered Social Worker is available to assist you with applying for a rent subsidy when you apply for our Supportive Housing program.


To be eligible for Supportive Housing services, interested applicants must:

  • Be insured under the Health Insurance Act of Ontario (ie. have a valid Ontario Health Card); and
  • Be 16 years of age or older; and
  • Have an irreversible physical disability and require physical assistance with the activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing, transferring and/or toileting; and
  • Be able to communicate sufficiently; and
  • Be able to travel throughout the community to have any medical/professional needs met by visiting your physician or other health professional(s).

How to Apply

Applications for VHA’s Supportive Housing services are coordinated through a common application and centralized point of access for all individuals applying for Attendant Services in Eastern Ontario.

Assistance in completing the application can be found in the Application Guide..

To learn more and discuss your application for service, contact VHA’s Community Gateway®.